Need Your Help! & Published SCIL Letters to Editor
AB 1881 Needs Your Call to Your Senator Now!
AB 1881, the Dog and Cat Bill of Rights is up for a vote by the full Senate as soon as Monday.
Please make a call to your Senator urging them to vote “YES” on AB 1881!
CLICK HERE TO FIND YOUR SENATOR
This bill is aimed at educating adopters of the needs of dogs and cats. Unfortunately and perplexingly, CalAnimals, the association that represents the animal control agencies and shelters across the state, is opposing the bill.
The purpose of the bill is to educate potential adopters of the needs of dogs and cats. It’s as simple as that. Some shelters do an amazing job at educating the public. Others do not. This bill lays out bullets (see below) that we hope all potential adopters consider, and requires shelters, humane societies, and rescues to simply make accessible to the public….that’s it!
- Dogs and cats deserve to be free from exploitation, cruelty, neglect, and abuse.
- Dogs and cats deserve a life of comfort, free of fear and anxiety.
- Dogs and cats deserve daily mental stimulation and appropriate exercise considering the age and energy level of the dog or cat.
- Dogs and cats deserve nutritious food, sanitary water, and shelter in an appropriate and safe environment.
- Dogs and cats deserve regular and appropriate veterinary care.
- Dogs and cats deserve to be properly identified through tags, microchips, or other humane means.
- Dogs and cats deserve to be spayed and neutered to prevent unwanted litters.
What in this list could a group who represents themselves as animal welfare be opposed to?!
Again, we recognize the great work of many shelters, but we want to see these humane considerations uniformly recognized across the state.
Please call your Senator and tell them
“YES on AB 1881 and not to listen to opposition’s mischaracterization of the bill!!”
We cannot thank you all enough for the action you take for the animals! Please consider making a donation to help us continue our work.
Judie Mancuso, founder/CEO/president
Social Compassion in Legislation